I think it’s fair to say most people today have a digital camera even if it is on their phone. They love taking photographs whether it’s just something that catches their eye, a night out with friends or a special occasion! But how many of us realise how much we owe to Kodak and the pioneering work they did?
- George Eastman Kodak’s founder produced the first roll of camera film.
- George Eastman invented the most significant commercial camera ever produced.
- 1897 Kodak introduced the folding camera, it was the first of a popular range of folding cameras using roll film. Between 1914 – 1934 Kodak sold a staggering 300,000 3A Autographics.
- 1900 George Eastman marketed the original Brownie with a price tag of £0. 5s. 0d (5 shillings in the UK or $1 in USA)
- 1935 Kodak introduced Kodachrome the first 35mm colour film.
- 1969 a Kodak camera was used during the moon landing.
- 1975 Steven Sasson spent 10mths in a research lab creating the first digital camera with 0.1megapixels and approx size of a toaster.
There’s no doubt Kodak have given a lot to photography which is why I think it’s a shame that it had to file for bankruptcy protection.The quote below is taken from an article on the BBC’s website, if you want to read the full article click here. Announcing the move to seek bankruptcy protection, Antonio Perez, Kodak’s chairman and chief executive, said: “The board of directors and the entire senior management team unanimously believe that this is a necessary step and the right thing to do for the future of Kodak. If you would like to see Kodak’s Development in pictures please click here.